The New York Folklore Society sponsors community programs through New York State. An afternoon or evening gathering, a longer-term project, but all focused on the community. Here are some recent events. You can follow the links to learn more about them.
- “A Folklorist’s Look at the Changing Demographics of Schenectady and the Mohawk Valley” — A presentation by NYFS Executive Director, Ellen McHale, Rotterdam Junction, NY, December 13, 2014.
- “STABLE VIEWS: Voices and Stories from the Thoroughbred Racetrack” — An exhibition about the community found within the backstretch of the thoroughbred racetracks in New York and elsewhere in the nation, based upon research by NYFS Executive Director, Ellen McHale. August 5–December, 2014, at the Crandall Public Library’s Folklife Center, Glens Falls, NY.
- Sundays on the Canal — A series of free performances celebrating traditional music and dance, Welcome Center, Brockport, NY, Sundays, July 13–August 31, 2014.
- 20th Annual Kids Art Festival, Schenectady, NY, June 7, 2014.
- Merchant Mash-Up at the Gallery: With the Caribbean restaurant, Executive Lounge, Schenectady, NY, May 15, 2014.
- “Farm and Field: The Rural Folk Arts of the Catskill Region” — An exhibition of rural images, taken by photographer, Benjamin Halpern, was on display at Delaware County Maple Weekends (March 21–23; & March 29–30).
- The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Reflection on Service: STORIES OF HURRICANE IRENE, Middleburgh, NY, January 20, 2014
- Harvest Festival: The Farmers’ Museum, Cooperstown, NY, September 15–16, 2013
- Dine on Jay Street: An Evening of Indian Dining and Classical Indian Music: Taj Mahal Restaurant, 118-120 Jay Street, Schenectady, NY 12305, September 6, 2013
- Latino Dance Summit: Bernhard Theater, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY, August 9-11, 2013
- Latino Dance Summit Public Performance: Bernhard Theater, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, NY, August 10, 2013
- 19th Annual Kids Art Festival, Schenectady, NY, June 1, 2013.
- Reception, Dinner & Show: Concert with Pete and Peggy Seeger at Proctors, Schenectady, NY, May 12, 2013
- Schenectady Community Cultural Documentation project, continuing in January, 2013.
- An Afternoon of Cajun Food and Music at Café Nola, Schenectady, NY, June 30, 2012.
- Schenectady Community Cultural Documentation program, Summer 2012.
- Paper Flower Making: A Family Program, American Folk Art Museum, New York City, April 22, 2012.
- Merchant Mash-Up at the Gallery: A Taste of Morocco, Schenectady, NY, April 20, 2012.
- Leap Year FUN-RAISER at McManus Pub, New York City, February 29, 2012.
- Hungarian Trilogy—A series of Hungarian and Music dance events in Spring 2011:
- Schenectady Community Cultural Documentation program, Summer 2011.
- Latino Artists’ Gathering—A series of three gatherings for professional development and networking held in 2010-2011:
- Long Island Traditions, Port Washington, NY, October 24, 2010
- Batavia City Center, Batavia, New York, March 19, 2011
- Centro Civico of Amsterdam, New York, May 14, 2011
- Gala Benefit Concert and Voices Release Party: Voices—Roots and Branches of New York Folk Music, Proctors Theatre, Schenectady, NY, May 29, 2009
Be sure to check out Conferences & Symposia to learn about other events we’ve held
or are planning throughout the state.
Elsa Gracian from the Mid-Hudson Mexican Folkloric Group, Latino Dance Summit Performance, August 10, 2013
Photo by Ellen McHale.
Hungarian Dance, Norfolk, NY, April 30, 2011.
Photo by Lisa Overholser.
At the Latino Artists’ Gathering, in October, 2010, at Long Island Traditions, in Port Washington, NY.
|The New York Folklore Society’s programs are made possible in part with public funds from the Folk Arts Program of the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency.||